Re: missing free space

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 03:09:34AM +0200, ccostin wrote:

> For this moment I don't run any qemu instace. But is somenthing similar.
> When I test an example from php5-imagick  package
> (/usr/share/doc/php5-imagick/examples/resize.php)
> apache2 "eat" a lot of disk space (a bug ?) from tmp
> Output from lsof
>
> COMMAND     PID       USER   FD      TYPE     DEVICE       SIZE       NODE
> NAME
> apache2   10673   apache   11u      REG        3,2 280080000
> 0       6161 /tmp/magick-XXuayBEU (deleted)
>
> ls /tmp/magick-XXuayBEU
> ls: /tmp/magick-XXuayBEU: No such file or directory
>

> After restarting apache2 all things get back to normal, occupied
> space is released.

No.  This is not a bug.  This is exactly the behavior I was talking
about.  The temporary file is created and then immediately deleted.  So,
it still takes up blocks on the file system, but du has no way of
counting those blocks since the file is "gone", but it is in fact still
there since an open file descriptor exists to it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez