Perl Programming within Debian

Hey all,

I wish all of you a Happy New Year!

I'm thinking of learning Perl Programming. Can any of you help me get
started on how to programming Perl in Debian? I mean what is the file
extension for the perl? Is it .cgi? Do I need to use any compiler for
perl? what is the best choice? How can I test my work(For instance in
PHP programming I can use Firefox browse to the file I want to see the
output)?

I was trying to search on the net and it did give me lots of results.
But because I'm in China and due to the earthquake took place in Taiwan
which very badly demaged the network, most of the webpages could not
loaded. Thanks to the google, which its servers are scattered all over
the world. Get help through google group is my only way now.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Rocky