Making hotplugging my camera work

Can someone explain the processes that occur when I hot plug my camera
in and kde pops up a dialog asking whether I want to download to
digiKam, or open in a new window.

The reason I am asking is twofold

1) Its not working with digiKam - digiKam has been told to look
in /media/sdg1 (the device that udev has created is /dev/sdg1) but this
is not there - however when you ask it to open a new window
instead, /media/disk is created. This latter move does allow you to
browse the pictures.

This is particularly wierd, because the device permissions for /dev/sdg1
are 660 with owner and group of "root" - yet I am still able to read
the data as user "alan".

2) I tried creating a udev rule that changed the device name
to /dev/camera.  In this instance, it appears that the first time the
device is created, kde does pop up the dialog box, but until I reboot
the machine never does so again.  I suspect this is to do with the hal
daemon.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk