Re: digital pictures: reordering and renaming (in a different way)

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 12:29:51AM -0500, H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a few hundred digital pictures scanned from negatives. Now when
> the negatives were scanned, the ordering was kind of lost. So now I have
> these sequential digital image files but their content is out of order.
>
> I am looking for an application that will do the following:
> 1. Out of all the image files in a folder in konqueror (or in nautilus),
> it allows me to 'move' the images, in the folder view, to different
> places in the window. Basically, I am reording some of the files by
> moving them with the mouse.
> 2. Then, it allows me to select some files and let me rename all of
> those selected files sequentially in the order that they appear in the
> folder view. Something like a batch mode.
>
> Basically, the above method will allow me to 'move' the image files in
> the folder view to their new 'place' in the order I have in mind. Once
> that is done, then a batch command allows me to rename the selected
> files sequentially. The second step is easily done with digikam. But
> what about the first one?
>
> Hope I have explained this clearly enough. Suggestions? Advice? If push
> comes to shove, I can always sit on a weekend and manually renumber the
> images.

I use gthumb for this sort of thing (batch renaming, etc), though it
doesn't do any kind of reordering of the listings.  My thought on that
part would be to create some temp dirs and move them to those
dirs--files can be marked using ctrl-LMB then moved as a group.  Gthumb
can do that as well, as (I'm sure) can other apps.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,