Need Help with Samba [Was: Re: Debian Installation]

Danesh Daroui wrote:
> Thanks Kent and of course others who did post a reply. The problem is
> now solved. The log file showed that my graphic card had been selected
> incorrectly, so now everything works fine. My windows handler is also
> GNOME which is my favorite, but I need more help. I have a network
> with four hosts connected to my Debian server. One Ubuntu and three
> Windows XP boxes, so I need to configure SAMBA on Debian for file
> sharing and specially printer sharing. It also seems that SAMBA is
> already installed on my Debian server since the Debian server is shown
> on all Windows XP machines. I used to use Fedora before Debian and in
> Fedora all SAMBA components were on menu list of accessory application
> but I did not find anything on the applications menu in Debian. Do you
> have any tip to configure SAMBA on Debian? It would also be nice to
> use SWAT to create account for each machine. Besides, I would
> appreciate to get similar tips about configuring LAMP server on Debian.

0. This list discourages private replies; in general, you're encouraged
to reply to the list:
    * it provides more eyes for solving your problems
    * it provides answers/opportunities for others on the list to learn
the answer
    * it documents the answers in the mailing list archives
(Also, you're encouraged to reply only to the list, not to the list and
the person to whom you're replying; that person is already reading the
list; s/he doesn't need two copies of the message.)

1. "aptitude install swat", then configure as you seem to be familiar with.

2. This list discourages top-posting (replying at the top of a message
rather than interspersing with relevant material).

3. This list encourages trimming out unnecessary stuff from previous
messages.

4. A good subject line ("How to install/configure SWAT?" or "Need help
with Samba", etc) is more likely to get responses; a generic subject
line, or worse, one that is misleading, is likely to get ignored by
those who know the answers to your issues.

5. LAMP: you have the Linux part; now "aptitude install apache mysql
[python | perl | php]" should get you pretty close.

Note: None of these should be taken as criticisms (although in the terse
format I've written them they may sound that way); instead, they should
be taken as educational as to how this list generally functions.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>