Etch/raid/lvm2

I have a box that is soon due to be upgraded to etch. I suspect that one of the disks is getting a little old (some odd logs, a couple of kernel panics) - so I wondered if now was a good time to test out raid (since I will be replacing disks anyway). I've used lvm2 quite a bit - but not on top of raid - so I'd like to test it out.

Here's what I was thinking. First - I get hold of three 250G IDE disks. I install these in a chassis that I have going spare at the minute. Install etch using both RAID5 and lvm2. Migrate any data/ config that I want to keep from the primary box - then when all is OK - move the disks over.

I'm leaning towards doing the whole thing on raid/lvm2 - root, boot, the lot - since I'd like for the machine to be able to boot whichever risk dies

Questions:

1) Given that all the info on the disks should be self consistent and given that no other disks are present in the system - should the moving of the disks go OK? I'm a little unclear if software raid copes with this OK -

2) I read in the wiki/bts that grub doesn't like booting from a raid partition - but that lilo is OK. How does this work - say hda dies - how does the boot loader get found?

3) This is a standard machine. That means 2x IDE bus. I see from http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-4.html that it is recommended only to have one IDE disk per bus. So - should I go for 2 disks - and fall back to RAID 1?

Any good pointers on artciles about using raid under debian?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Searle
debian-user@chrissearle.org