Re: SCSI hard disk connected to IDE interface ???

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 11:06:26PM -0300, Alejandro wrote:
> People, I have a Debian PC with a hard disk with the following features:

> IDE interface
> ide: 1
> product: 82801FB/FW  (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA controller

This is a Serial ATA interface, not IDE.

> Disk:
> product: SAMSUNG SP0812C
> vendor: ATA
> physical id: 0.0.0
> bus info: scsi@0.0:0.0
> logical name: /dev/sda

This is a Serial ATA interface, not SCSI.

The kernel drivers used are in the SCSI stack.  The ata_piix driver is
making your SATA controller look like a SCSI card to the higher level
SCSI disk driver.  The kernel is moving to all IDE/SATA devices behaving
this way.

> Is it possible to have a SCSI disk connected to a IDE interface ???

Not without some horribly hacked black box in between.

> And if I want to put a seconadry similar disk, do I have to treat it as
> IDE or SCSI in order to see it on my system ?

Physically or virtually?  Physically, you need SATA (IDE will likely
work too; most x86 motherboards still have an IDE port).  On the
software side, the kernel will automatically see the new SATA drive with
the existing drivers.
--
Rob
  Q:	What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?