Re: questions for when Etch goes stable

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
Also, I have found the sarge to etch upgrade to be brutal. The systems I have tried to upgrade recently are all in shambles. The particular problem I've encountered seems to be the Xfree86 -> xorg 7 transition. It's a real trick to get it to upgrade, especially if there are any non-Debian packages on the system, and even after upgrade, I haven't got X into a reliable working state. Crash on boot is more like it. I'm still upgrading and reconfiguring moderately regularly, in the hope something starts to work soon. It has before. If you are on adial-up, I hope you have a package caceh somewhere so you won't have to repeatedly download the same packages as you try different approaches.
Maybe my method really did save me time, effort, and stress, then. Of course, it required time and disk space. I only had about half of my disk partitioned (with lvm), with plenty of empty space in the used partitions. So I created a second set of equally sized lvm partitions and mounted them in a chroot and used debootstrap to create a minimal Etch system. I then used dpkg -l to get a list of installed packages on Sarge and printed it out. I went through this list and weeded out anything that I no longer use, or need. I then deleted the libraries from the list, as well. This left me with a list of what I needed to have on the Etch partitions and I installed them using aptitude. I still had my Sarge system usable and could simply reboot into Etch every now and then to test programs and configurations.

By now it seems to have everything working without having to worry about the XFree86 to Xorg conversion, or the udev conversion. This also got rid of all the cruft that has been accumulating over the last seven or eight years as this hard disk has moved through several different boxen, which was my primary reason for doing the conversion this way.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com