yaird quirk in copying partitions

Hi,

A while ago I asked about using rsync to copy partitions and told about my problem booting into the copied partition:

I thought it was a lilo problem and found this page:

http://lilo.go.dyndns.org/

So I wrote to John Coffman who now own lilo and got an immediate response back: the problem is not lilo, but using an initrd in the boot whose image did not originate in that partition!

My lilo had in it:

image=/hda7/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17.14-ck1
        label=A7-617UX
        root=/dev/hda7
        append="apm=on ddcon=1 video=vesafb:ypan,1024x768-32@85 quiet"
#       initrd=/hda7/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17.14-ck1
        read-only

The problem is the commented out line: you put that back in and what gets booted is the partition where the yaird img was composed!

The reason for the yaird img is that my fstab has an entry in it for a USB disk. If you don't want the kernel to blow its top you have to preload those support modules. So /etc/yaird/Default.cfg has added to it:

                MODULE          usbcore
                MODULE          ehci-hcd
                MODULE          usb-storage

When you copy the partition that that was done on you cannot use its initrd.img but have to generate it anew.

That's probably written up somewhere, but thanks to John Coffman I discovere the problem.

Hugo