Re: questions for when Etch goes stable

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 07:33:50PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I've presently got 2 Sarge installs on the stable repo, and Etch on the
> testing repo. I've seen more than one post saying that testing was frozen,
> but since then I've had more updates for Etch, and tonight another 50MB of
> updates.
>
> I will probably keep my Etch install on testing when it goes stable, but
> forget what the new testing install is named. Doh.
>
> One of my Sarge installs I will keep on the stable repo, which on dialup will
> be a lot of fun, as it upgrades to Etch
>
> The other Sarge install I will rename in /etc/apt/sources.list to sarge. what
> will be the status of this Sarge install? Are there going to be any updates,
> bugfixes, security fixes, or is this Sarge install going to be a lost cause?
> I will probably keep this install on the Sarge repo, as folks from time to
> time who havn't upgraded, might have questions related to Sarge, and it's
> nice to be able to boot up an older version to check how it's setup, and
> perhaps provide some answers to questions.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but this may help.

If you want Sarge to stay Sarge, then use sarge in the sources.list.  If
you want it to stay stable, then use stable.  Same with Etch, if you
want the system to stay Etch when Etch goes stable, then use etch in the
sources.list.  However, if you want it to stay testing, then use
testing.  Easy as pie.

Regards,

-Roberto

--