Re: smooth upgrades

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 19:14, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 05:25:51PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> > >
> > > ugh. that's another problem. what is the contents of apt.conf?
> >
> > i have only '/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/apt.conf'. content is:
> >
> > 	// $Id: apt.conf,v 1.43 1999/12/06 02:19:38 jgg Exp $
> > 	/* This file is a sample configuration file with a few harmless sample
> >    	options.
> > 	*/
> >
> > 	APT
> > 	{
> > 	  // Options for apt-get
> > 	  Get
> > 	  {
> >    	  Download-Only "false";
> > 	  };
> >
> > 	};
> >
> > 	// Options for the downloading routines
> > 	Acquire
> > 	{
> > 	  Retries "0";
> > 	};
> >
> > 	// Things that effect the APT dselect method
> > 	DSelect
> > 	{
> > 	  Clean "auto";   // always|auto|prompt|never
> > 	};
> >
> > 	DPkg
> > 	{
> > 	  // Probably don't want to use force-downgrade..
> > 	  Options {"--force-overwrite";}
> > 	}
> >
> > > and how about uname -a?
> >
> > debian:/etc/apt# uname -a
> > Linux debian 2.6.16.4 #1 PREEMPT Sun Apr 16 06:39:49 PDT 2006 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > > IOW, what are you currently running? just because you have both stable
> > > and testing in your sources.list doesn't mean you are necessarily
> > > running one or the other.
> > >
> > > If you are truly running testing, then you can comment out the stable
> > > lines. If you are running stable then the move to testing is a big one
> > > and not taken lightly.

> > the content of sources.list btw is:
> >
> > 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian		\
> > 		stable  	main	contrib 	non-free
> > 	#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian-non-US	\
> > 		stable/non-US	main	contrib 	non-free
> > 	deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian		\
> > 		etch 	main	contrib 	non-free
> > 	#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian-non-US	\
> > 		etch/non-US  main	contrib 	non-free
> >
> > 	#deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/	\
> > 		stable  	main	non-free	contrib
> > 	 deb http://security.debian.org/ 		\
> > 	 	stable/updates 	main 	contrib 	non-free
> > 	#deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ 	\
> > 		etch 	main 	non-free 	contrib
> > 	 deb http://security.debian.org/ 		\
> > 	 	etch/updates main 	contrib 	non-free
> >
> > i replaced 'testing' with 'etch' today and haven't used apt-get since.
> >
> > how do i tell which version (testing/stable) i'm running?
>
> you'll have to check the version numbers of a few things. I don't know
> how apt behaves if you don't specify a default distribution when there
> are multiple sources. for example, I have my apt_preferences set for
> "sid" on this machine as follows:
>
> APT::Default-Release "sid";

kloro@debian:~$ fnd apt_preferences
/usr/share/man/es/man5/apt_preferences.5.gz
/usr/share/man/fr/man5/apt_preferences.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/apt_preferences.5.gz
/usr/share/man/pt_BR/man5/apt_preferences.5.gz
/usr/share/apt-listbugs/debian/apt_preferences.rb

i.e., i don't have an apt_preferences.

> on another machine I have it set in apt.conf, which is probably
> wrong.
>
> regardless, what is your version of libc6? that's probably the best
> indicator at this point. one of my etch boxes is running
>
> dpkg -l | grep libc6
> ii  libc6                     2.3.6.ds1-8                     GNU C
> Library: Shared libraries
> ii  libc6-dev                 2.3.6.ds1-8                     GNU C
> Library: Development Libraries and Hea
> ii  libc6-i686                2.3.6.ds1-8                     GNU C
> Library: Shared libraries [i686 optimi
>
> stable is currently, per packages.debian.org, 2.3.2

kloro@debian:~$ dpkg -l |grep libc6
ii  libc6                            2.3.6-7                      GNU C
Library: Shared libraries
ii  libc6-dev                        2.3.6-7                      GNU C
Library: Development Libraries and Header
kloro@debian:~$

should i have a 'libc6-i686' also?

i assume this means i'm running 'etch'.

> so figure out which you're running and that will clue you in to what
> to do. If you're actually running stable, despite the entries in
> sources.list, then you should probably stay there until etch moves
> stable and we see what the shake-up is. If you are running etch, then
> you can leave your entries like they are, or delete stable if you
> want, as etch and stable will soon be synonomous. Once etch is stable,
> you'll probably want to delete the etch lines so you don't someday
> follow etch into oldstable.

thanks,

tom arnall
north spit, ca

Make cyberspace pretty: stamp out curly brackets and semicolons.

Relax: the tests extend the compiler.