Re: /etc/network/interfaces file ?

stevendemetrius wrote:
> The issue is that "allow-hotplug eth0" does *not* work while "auto eth0"
> does work! If "allow-hotplug" is used then "dhclient" has to be run
> manually in order for eth0 to get its IP related settings.

I've investigated this for a few hours today, and if you have any
systems that fail to bring up the interface with "allow-hotplug eth0",
and no "auto eth0", I'm curious about what situations cause it to fail.

So far the only situations I've been able to find where allow-hotplug
fails are:
* Long (> 2 minutes) fscks of the root filesystem during boot.
* Hard powercycles / hard reboots.

I've filed bugs for both of those, and it seems that it should work in
other situations, but perhaps I've missed other failure modes.

--
see shy jo