Re: local partition backup with rsync

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

I would like to do a local partition backup with rsync.

It works right with a partition that contains /home:

rsync -av --delete /hda10 /sdb7

But it does not work right with the partition that I boot into:

rsync -av --delete --exclude /home --exclude /usr/local --exclude /hda10 / /hdb5

He does it the first time, but the second time, which is supposed to be just an update, he copies all files again and runs out of room.

Anybody uses rsync to backup the partition that they boot into?

Thanks for the answers.
I guess I will try rsnapshot and rdiff-backup because although the rsync job now works OK with --exclude /hdb5, I cannot boot from it: it keeps booting the partition that it came from, although I adjusted /hdb5/etc/fstab and reran lilo to point to the newly copied partition.

With mondo those are the only 2 adjustments you have to make to boot into a copied partition.

Hugo