Re: Daemonologists wanted

Paul Johnson wrote:

> David Liontooth wrote:
>

>> If I issue
>>
>>         /etc/init.d/sensord start
>>
>> to start the sensor daemon, the script seems to run fine, but the daemon
>> doesn't actually start. On my other machines, it runs as expected. Any
>> daemonologists out there?
>
> What's the .conf look like?  Any log entries after you try starting
> sensord?

Hi Paul,

Thanks! I had this working on 2.8.18.3, and it failed after moving to a
kernel.org 2.6.19.1 kernel --

The receipt suggests the daemon starts:

# /etc/init.d/sensord start
Starting sensor daemon: sensord.

But you're right - the syslog shows the failure:

Dec 20 10:36:14 chianti sensord: sensord started
Dec 20 10:36:14 chianti sensord: Chip: k8temp-pci-00c3
Dec 20 10:36:14 chianti sensord: Adapter: PCI adapter
Dec 20 10:36:14 chianti sensord:   Mboard: 31.00
Dec 20 10:36:14 chianti sensord: Error getting sensor data: k8temp/temp2:
Can't access procfs/sysfs file
Dec 20 10:36:14 chianti sensord: sensord failed

It turns out the solution was to add a couple of ignores to the
configuration (previous conf below):

chip "k8temp-*"

   label temp1 "Mboard"
   ignore temp2
   label temp3 "CPU k8"
   ignore temp4

The error messages are not very helpful to newbies -- now I realize
that "Can't access procfs/sysfs file" means "there isn't any temp2 sensors
according to /proc or /sys, so I'm going to fail". A newbie like myself
might think sensors isn't seeing /proc or /sys, or that these file systems
aren't correctly installed, and so on. In any case, the default behavior
shouldn't be to fail because some ignore statements are missing!

Thanks for your help -- that's really all I needed, and hopefully this will
be useful for someone else.

Dave

#### Here begins the real configuration file

chip "it87-*" "it8712-*"

# The values below have been tested on Gigabyte K8NSC-939 and K8NS Ultra-939

# Voltage monitors as advised in the It8705 data sheet
    label in0 "VCore 1"
    label in1 "VCore 2"
    label in2 "+3.3V"
    label in3 "+5V"
    label in4 "+12V"
    label in5 "-12V"
    label in6 "-5V"
    label in7 "Stdby"

# Conversions
    compute in3 ((10/10)+1)*@ ,  @/((10/10)+1)
    compute in4 ((30/10) +1)*@  , @/((30/10) +1)
    compute in5 (7.67 * @) - 27.36  ,  (@ + 27.36) / 7.67
    compute in6 (4.33 * @) - 13.64  ,  (@ + 13.64) / 4.33
    compute in7 ((6.8/10)+1)*@ ,  @/((6.8/10)+1)

# Temperature
    label temp1       "M/B Temp"
    set   temp1_over  40
    set   temp1_low   15
    label temp2       "CPU Temp"
    set   temp2_over  45
    set   temp2_low   15
    ignore temp3

# Fans
   set fan1_min 2500
# Fan2 is currently the power supply fan -- not sure how fast it should run
   set fan2_min 1000
   ignore fan3

chip "k8temp-*"

   label temp1 "Mboard"