Re: debian on an NAS server

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 17:02 -0800, Tom Brown wrote:
> On Thursday 14 December 2006 10:56, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I tried using the re-installation option from the F2 menu. It
> > > didn't help. I still get PXELINUX to download and execute, but when it
> > > comes to booting the kernel, it fails. Back to google for me. Or maybe
> > > Dell as someone suggested.
> >
> > Sorry for your problems, but I'd have to have one in front of me to get
> > it to work. On thing I have never used (the whole Powervault series for
> > example) its tough for me to finger the problems or to get the proper
> > working targets.
> >
> > I know, it sucks, but one you get it done, document it. That way others
> > won't have such a hard time doing the same or similar things.
> >
> > I live in Michigan, so unless you are close to Grand Rapids... I'd have
> > to say my odds of figuring out your conundrum is about nil.
> I live in Washington State. I almost gathered my comps and flew to Grand
> Rapids out of sheer frustration. However, I learned a little lesson in "never
> use MS tools"... again. I was using hyperterm to interface with the nas
> server and I couldn't read all the output from pxelinux. So, I tried to
> caputre the output, but it was unreadable. I had to leave this project to go
> do some real work for awhile. When I came back to it, my head must have
> cleared a bit because I decided to use teratermpro instead (ok, I probably
> should have been using a linux box and minicom to begin with, but I only had
> the windoze box available to me). I captured the output and was able to read
> the error that my tftp server did not support tsize (whatever that is). I
> just pointed the netboot to a different tftp server and it just worked. Shoot
> me.

Well, don't that beat all? That is excellent.

> Well, I hope that this post saves somebody else a lot of time and effort.

We all get blind-sided like that from time to time. You might guess some
of us have become very mistrusting of MS due to the nature of the "good
enough" attitude they take with everything.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux