Re: Debian Etch or Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) LAMP Server for LTSP

On Friday 15 December 2006 18:00, Anthony M Simonelli wrote:
> My dilemma is that I am waiting for the release of Etch but now I'm
> tempted to use Ubuntu 6.10 for the job.

I'd recommend 6.06...it will be supported for longer.

> What would be the benefit of using Debian Etch over Ubuntu 6.10

Slightly new kernel.  Not sure about applications.

> (aside from not having to use the stupid 'sudo')

You can use su on Ubuntu too, if you want.  Just give the root user a
password.  And you can always sudo -s to get to a shell.

> since I've heard Ubuntu is better suited to the Gnome
> desktop user?  Is Debian Etch worth the wait for this particular
> project?

I've not used Gnome on Ubuntu, but we have six Ubuntu 6.06 installs  in
production here (two web server, two name servers, and two VMWare servers),
with a couple more coming online soon, and they have been rock solid stable.
I'm sure Etch will be too, but just FYI.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111