Re: dumb question about installing etch....

Douglas Tutty wrote:
On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 10:15:57AM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
Michael Fothergill wrote:
Dear Debianists,

If I wanted to install etch as a net install, how do I do this? On the installation web page there is a choice of a weekly snapshot or a daily built image. The daily built image has a netinstall CD in it.

Is there a netinstall CD for the weekly one?

I have never tried to install Etch.
Did you download the Etch RC1 installer from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/? Choose "netinst CD image (100-150 MB)". Burn the ISO image to a CD. Boot from the CD and press F3 at the prompt. You can choose a curses-bases installer or a GUI installer. The installer will install all the latest packages in Etch directly from the repository. You will need a broadband connection.

You don't _need_ a broadband connection. You can even do it without any
connection at install time.  I'm on dial-up with a wonky phone line.
Rather than risk the install dying due to a failed line, I just do a
minimal install with the netinst.iso then install from within the
minimal system.

If you haven't got broadband you will need to be patient! It takes me 2 - 3 hours to install Etch over broadband. I installed Sarge once using a 56k dialup and it took a whole day.

--
Chris.