Re: A market perspective on the impact of dunc-tanc

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 04:27:09PM -0400, D G Teed wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I'm a sysadmin of the Unix half of a small University
> main server room.  Recently we have been trying to
> decide on a replacement for FreeBSD for 14 servers.
>
> I favor Debian, however I can't make that decision on
> my own.  I found it was a challenge to convince
> others in the decision making process that Debian
> is solid and here to stay when the Dunc Tanc causes
> the Weekly News to drop out of consistent appearance.
> I know there are alternate sources of information, but
> one must consider that non-Linux users are amongst
> the visitors of the Debian project web site.

[...]
> If there are other users who also feel this issue has degraded the
> appearance of the Debian project and its web site, you might share
> your view.

Whats a Dunc Tanc?

News I get from the announce mailing list and web-site appearance isn't
much of an issue since I access it via lynx.

I agree that the early part of the debian learning curve (especially if
one is not from a *N*X background) is very steep.  I think there should
be a great big huge button "If you're new to Linux or this web page
makes no sense to you CLICK HERE" where you get a great intro tutorial
on things debian.  Perhaps such a tutorial should be the main debian
page with a link "Enter Main Debian site" to get to the current main
page.

Doug.