Re: VCD no go with MPlayer.

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 19:04 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> > I don't really understand what it is you're trying to do and what goes
> > wrong? For example, what are you trying to accomplish with sox?
>
> I am a newbie... I just follow the instructions :-) I hope I didn't do
> anything wrong.

Hi,

No, you didn't do anything wrong, I would blame debianhelp.co.uk for
providing outdated and confusing information ;-)

In their guide, they seem to capture a Windows Media Audio stream, and
convert it to Ogg Vorbis using sox, not really related to getting
MPlayer configured...

> > How is mplayer set up on your system, what video output and audio
> > outputs are selected? Have you done any configuration yourself?
>
> MPlayer is setup the way it came when I got the package (plus libs)
> with Synaptic. Unless there was something in the above that you would
> call configuration...

[snip]

> > I would first try this,
> >  mplayer -vo xv,x11 vcd://3
> > and see if I get any visible video, and later worry about sound.
>
> Wow, I've got video. No sound, but hey it's a start. I can't get video
> with the GUI, however. In GUI I get the following:
>
> "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device."

Good, as for the GUI, it's not something I'm familiar with, but I would
guess there is a way to make these settings somewhere?

Do you know what kind of sound drivers you use (OSS or ALSA?) and if
your system is set up with some kind of sound server (esd, arts, pulse
etc?). MPlayer support them if all, so it's mostly a matter of trial and
error if you're not sure what you're using.

Try to start mplayer with -ao oss, -ao alsa, -ao esd or -ao arts etc, an
see if anything works. I guess you could also try with a comma separated
list, -ao alsa,oss,esd,arts.

The manual page,
 man mplayer
provides lots of information, as do the "help" options,
 mplayer -ao help
 mplayer -vo help

When you have found a working setup, you can put these options in the
configuration file, I think it's .mplayer/config in your home directory.

I hope this helps, and I haven't made things more confusing for you,
MPlayer is quite powerful, but it has a myriad of options :-)

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson