Re: dumb question about installing etch....

* Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> [061214 04:26]:
> Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >Dear Debianists,
> >
> >If I wanted to install etch as a net install, how do I do this?  On
> >the installation web page there is a choice of a weekly snapshot or a
> >daily built image.  The daily built image has a netinstall CD in it.
> >
> >Is there a netinstall CD for the weekly one?
> >
> >I have never tried to install Etch.

In general, every image has an installer.  To the best of my
knowledge, there is no "network installer" as such; rather, the
installer allows installation from the network or from CD, the choice
being made by the user performing the installation.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the installer is not
release-specific.  After you boot from the first CD, you are free to
make the installation from CDs corresponding to any build, or (if
doing a netinstall) from the build currently in the Debian archives.

If you already have downloaded the ISO image for the first CD of Etch,
you can burn a CD and do a netinstall from that CD; you don't need a
netinstall CD.

The advantage of using a netinstall CD:

    (1) The ISO image is smaller, so it takes less time to download.

    (2) It may provide a later version of the Etch installer; read the
    release notes.

A while back, I downloaded (with jigdo) a set of ISO images, burned
the image first to CD, and, at the end of the installation, discovered
that the installer was broken and that the installation could not be
completed.  The work-around was to revert to the previous set of CD
images, and thus, the previous version of the installer.

RLH