Re: raid + lvm setup

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 01:35:53PM +0100, Daniel Tryba wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 08:11:00PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> [snip]
> > Does this seem like a workable/wise plan or here there be dragons?  Is
> > there any reason to think that 20 GB is too small for a fully installed
> > workstation including swap and /tmp (everything but /home)?
>
> Sounds sane, except for the encrypted stuff this resembles my setup,
> 20Gb is more then enough (I personally have something like 7Gb used from
> the max 24Gb for base (about half of it in the /usr/local/ hierarchy)).
>
> On the last reinstall of a machine (debinstaller for x86) a couple of
> months ago I tried the encypted LVM stuff but it didn't appear to work
> out of the box (and I was to lame to spend some time to get is working)
> though.
>
> Encrypted swap with a new generated key (never stored) for each reboot
> sound interesting. Could you share your experiences if you have this
> running?

I did the install using RC1 hd-media with the netinst.iso on the USB
stick too using amd64 on my athlon box.  It went very well.  Since the
encrypted swap is on an LVM which is on a raid1 I got a warning that
this is too new to know for shure that it is secure but I went with this
anyway.  It works just fine out of the box.

I went with a 64 MB raid1 /boot, a 16 GB raid1/lvm main setup, with the
remainder of the drive (64 GB) plain lvm for /home.  I'm not ready to
start video editing so I didn't make a striped editing partition.

I'm thinking that with Etch frozen, it won't be long before its stable.
Rather than installing everything now over my dial-up, I may just wait
for Etch to be stable.

Doug.