Re: debian on an NAS server

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 09:29:25AM -0800, Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We aquired a powervault 715N NAS server. It is running some form of windows
> (most likely w2k). I don't have the manuals or an install disk. It doesn't
> have a floppy or a cdrom. I'd like to install debian on it and make it a
> samba server for the company. All it has is a serial port, two ethernet ports
> and four hard drives. Any ideas on how I'd get debian installed on it?

Preface:  I don't know anything about a powervault.

Read the debian installation manual.  Your boot options are probably to
either set up a netboot server and use the netboot media (if the box
supports net booting) or to remove a hard drive, put it in another box,
copy the hd-media images and an .iso image to a small partition (256 MB)
and mark that partition bootable.  Put the drive back in the box and
boot it up.  When you install, leave that partition alone.  When you're
done, turn that partition into another swap partition.

In your list of ports you don't mention if it has a graphics card, USB,
keyboard, etc.  If no graphics, you can install from a serial console.
To get the pre-boot help screens (syslinux), you'll have to alter the
syslinux.cfg file to point to the serial port (see the syslinux man
page).

Good luck.

Doug.