Re: xsane click-through license??

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 20:19 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> I'm not sure about xsane.  However, I know that many applications do
> this, unfortunately.  It confuses users who are not savvy about license
> issues.  For instance, PDFCreator, OpenOffice and a number of other high
> profile apps (Firefox as well, IIRC) all do this.  You are right,
> though, in that the GPL only applies to redistribution and not to use.
> The GPL has zero to say about how/when/what/where an application is used
> until it comes to redistribution.

Software with their own installer, most typical Windows programs, seems
to display the GPL or a similar free license where the EULA usually
goes. I'm not sure if that's because the authors need to be educated or
the fact that the installers themselves require a licence agreement
window with something in it...

As for Firefox, I assume you mean the Windows version downloaded from
mozilla.com and not Iceweasel as shipped by Debian? Firefox as from
mozilla.org is non-free, so I guess they feel the need for an EULA of
some sort.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson