Re: bulk mailer

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 06:58:36AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> * Roberto C. Sanchez <roberto@connexer.com> [061211 08:13]:
> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 07:50:07AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> >> I need a method to email a weekly Bible study to a list of a hundred
> >> or so recipients.
> >> I found in the Debian archive a package named >
> >> "libmail-bulkmail-perl".
> > Overkill.  Just set up an install of mailman for yourself and add
> > your recipients to your mailing list.
>
> OK, mailman it is, then.

Great!

> Please note that my SOLE interest in Mailman is one-way transmission
> -- implementation of an "announce only" newsletter, rather than a
> traditional mailing list.  Also, there is no need to allow a user to
> subscribe or to cancel his subscription; he can do that by emailing me
> directly.

This is simple to do.

> I installed Mailman and I've printed out and read over all the Mailman
> documentation I could find -- about two dozen documents totalling about
> 150 pages.

I'm not sure if all of that is necessary.

> The GNU Mailman Installation Manual tells me that I need to monkey
> around with the Exim4 configuration files.  Is that really necessary?

Not sure.  I use postfix.  I only had to edit one file, adding one line
and then restart postfix.

> And in the file "mm_cfg.py", the Debian installer entered the machine
> name and local domain name for both "DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST" and
> "DEFAULT_URL_HOST".  But these names have no meaning outside my LAN.

The default URL host is used for administration and list archive access.
If you have no need to let your recipients access the list via the web
for archives, then this should not be an issue.  I will have to look at
my machine later and see about the DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.

> It appears that all of the Mailman documentation assumes that the host has a
> valid publicly-accessible URL.  If that is a requirement, then I
> cannot use Mailman.

Not necessary.

> So now I'm intimidated.  I'm thinking that perhaps that it would be
> better to use Mutt with an alias list.

If that does what you need, then that is a possibility as well.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez