Re: tool to resize partitions on cylinder boundaries?

Mike McCarty wrote, On 12/12/06 18:18:
Arthur Marsh wrote:

[snip]

I believe that Debian *should* provide a tool and documentation to easily resize partitions to satisfy the cylinder boundary requirements of fdisk/cfdisk, and proprietary programs such as Partition Magic.

What is there that you want to do that fdisk won't do? Yes, it
warns you, but that doesn't prevent it from running, AFAIK.

Mike

I have used parted and gparted to resize my partitions successfully - in fact I would never have installed Debian in the first place without GNU Parted. However, these tools do *not* provide me with a straightforward, documented means of resizing the partition so that the end of the partition is on a cylinder boundary so as to keep fdisk, cfdisk and Partition Magic happy (cfdisk and Partition Magic refuse to do anything with this disk at present). I'd like to be able to use fdisk, cfdisk and Partition Magic on this disk without having to backup, wipe the disk completely and repartition. If GNU Parted and/or gparted provided a documented way to resize the partitions on the end of a cylinder boundary I'd be very pleased with the completeness of the partitioning tools available in Debian. As it is, I find the present situation a bit frustrating.

Regards,

Arthur.