Re: dumb question about upgrading the kernel and SATA disks....

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 01:28:06AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >From: andreimpopescu@gmail.com (Andrei Popescu)
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: dumb question about upgrading the kernel and SATA disks....
> >Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 02:58:18 +0200

> >> I did this. It worked.
> >> uname -a
> >> Linux spc1-burn4-0-0-cust262 2.6.8-3-k7 #1 Tue Dec 5 23:58:25 UTC 2006
> >i686 GNU/Linux
> >
> >Great. Does the SATA disk work?
>
> I have been looking at a shop on the web that sells internal hard drives.
> For about 30 UK sterling I could get either an 80GB PATA type disk or a
> 80GB SATA disk....  I was a bit afraid of buying the SATA disk because I
> thought I would have hardware recognition problems....  But this has
> convinced me that it is not a waste of money to get the SATA drive...

as was mentioned earlier in the thread, 2.6.8 kernel may not be new
enough for a lot of SATA drives. To use this drive, you may have to
move up to "etch" in advance of the release. My understanding is that
etch has MUCH better SATA support than sarge.

> I am also interested in which on line shops you recommend for buying a
> internal hard drive.....
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill
>
> P.S. How much RAM should a computer have to be happy running Gnome, X and
> e.g. Openoffice.....?  I have 256MB of NVRAM.  Should I upgrade to 512MB.

depends on a lot of things, but more ram certainly won't
hurt. personally I would find 256 to be not enough as I end up
swapping on .5G quite a bit -- i use xfce4, gnucash, iceweasel, and
oo.o, generally all running at the same time.

[...snipped merits of 32 vs 64 bit arch...]

> Is this logical or is it goofy?

makes sense to me. 64 bit will be much more long-lived at this point
than 32 bit, though IMO 32 bit has quite a bit of life left in it. And
I don't know if the 64 bit machines have seen their full-price drop
yet (mostly cause I haven't looked). Personally, I can't wait for when
the various used-computer shops start filling up with perfectly good
modern 32 bit boxen as everyone goes to 64 bit... :)

> >> Will this new kernel make it easier to upgrade to etch??  Presumably
> >etch official release is
> >> getting close now.....

I think the upgrade to udev and xorg 7.x is WAY more problematic than
the transition to 2.6.x kernel.