Re: opening ports

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 05:06:08PM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

Are you using "service" in the technical sense? Like FTP, for
example? My firewall drops all packets, just like no daemon
were running.

AFAIK if you have no firewall and no daemon listening there is still
some response (service not available?).

Are you saying that if you shut down your etherport and stop the
IP daemon, that the hardware does some sort of handshake?

Not with my router, BTW. But then, I don't run Linux on it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.