spamassassin

Hello. I installed sylpheed-claws-spamassassin, and read what I could find on it, and on spamassassin, on my computer. Alas, Sylpheed-claws is not picking up any of the spam.
I tried starting spamassassin, but get this message:

debian:/home/mark# /etc/init.d/spamassassin start
SpamAssassin Mail Filter Daemon: disabled, see /etc/default/spamassassin
debian:/home/mark# locate /etc/default/spamassassin
debian:/home/mark#

Note, after installing spamassassin and sylpheed-claws-spamassassin plugin, which I did enable, I ran updatedb, so that I would be able to find files. Spamassassin tells me to see a file that does not exist on my system. Is there a way to get it working? Should I also install the spampd file? Or something else?

I am not using my own mailserver, but rather, as many people do, use an smtp connection to my internet service provider, who provides me with an email (a pop3 account). Is spamassassin the wrong tool for filtering the spam that I get? I've been using mailfilter, which sort of works, and Icedove's Junk filters, but both these things miss a lot. Since I've heard good reviews of Spamassassin, I thought I would try it. I decided to try it with sylpheed-claws, since there was a specific spamassassin package for this mail-client.

I'm using a fully upgraded Debian Etch.

Thanks,

Mark