Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On 12/10/2006 10:00 AM, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[snip]

> I think it is advisable to remove all non-Debian packages before a Sarge
> -> Etch upgrade and reinstall them again afterwards, using official Etch
> packages whenever possible.

This is specifically recommended:

http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#s-backports
Release Notes for Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 ("etch"), Intel x86 - Upgrades
from previous releases
  4.2.3 Unofficial sources and backports

> You can run
>
> aptitude search '~i!~Odebian'
>
> to find installed ("~i") packages that have an origin ("~O") other than
> ("!") 'debian'. (This will also list all packages which are no longer
> part of Debian, which might be a good opportunity to get rid of some
> cruft on your system.)
>
> I hope that the version of aptitude in Sarge already supports this type
> of search pattern, but I do not know for sure.

This runs perfectly on sarge's aptitude.  I have 30 such packages, some
which I'd forgotten (j2re1.4).

Regards,
Ralph (on sarge)