package problems

Happy Sunday Morning

I've had yet another problem with the package downloads.  This is the
second time I've had a failure in a kernel package, 2.6.18 today, 2.6.17
last week.  The errors speak for them selves.
_________________
Setting up linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7 (2.6.18-7) ...

 Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.18-3-k7/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/2.6.18-3-k7/source

Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
Could not find postinst hook script [flash-kernel].
Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up libc6-i686 (2.3.6.ds1-8) ...

 linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7
localepurge: checking system for new locale ...
localepurge: processing locale files ...
localepurge: processing man pages ...
A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
Setting up linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7 (2.6.18-7) ...
Running depmod.
Finding valid ramdisk creators.
Using mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
Could not find postinst hook script [flash-kernel].
Looked in: '/bin', '/sbin', '/usr/bin', '/usr/sbin'
dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7
____________________________

Running Testing and used aptitude for the install.  Other then the
missing symbolic link, I am bothered by the flash-kernel error.  I
also have an NSLU2 I'm playing with and do recall a mention on that
list of the ARM software for the NSLU2 getting the 2.6.18 kernel.  I
don't recall seeing/hearing anything about a flash-kernel on DU before
and can't find anything on the system about it.  Nothing in the
postinst script about flash-kernel at all.

Looks like another 2 hour plus download down the drain.  This is
getting to be not so much fun anymore. Last week upgrading a laptop
too 3 tries to upgrade.  The first 2 times the files downloaded but
were left the /var/cache/apt/archives/partial with the the files ending
in FAILED.  Never saw that before and don't want to see it again!

Wayne

--
Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN