Re: How to Play Two Audio streams to two different outputs?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 03:42:02PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> We're wanting to use one Debian box to play two different audio streams
> to two different systems: one playing music-on-hold for our general
> telephone system, and one playing tips-and-updates for our Helpdesk
> phone system (for simplification purposes, you can just think of the two
> streams going to two different sets of speakers located in two different
> rooms).
>
> I figure we'll need two sound cards, each driving its own set of
> speakers.
>
> But how do I get the system to play one audio stream on one sound card,
> and a different audio stream on a different card, at the same time?
>
> Running two different apps (or even the same app) under two different
> users is not a problem; I just need the audio to not mix between the two
> outputs.

I know there were a couple threads about this in recent history. one
that came through just a couple days ago about using skype referenced
the earlier thread as well.

basically, as I understand it, you have to set some module parameters
for the sound cards control how they are indexed and then set the
outputs from the two sound programs to the different indexes.

good luck