Re: backup archive format saved to disk

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 04:09:23PM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Everything involves Pascal's triangle somewhere :-)
>
> >thanks for the refresher!
>
> Sorry, my grad schooling is in Mathematical Probability and Statistics.
> I almost got a Ph.D (a kid suddenly came along, and I had to get a
> real job), but was in a program which only made Ph.Ds,
> so I didn't wind up with an MSc. along the way, which I have certainly
> exceeded the normal requirements for :-(

Please don't appologize Mike,

It refreshing to look at how the hardware works (or doesn't).  I passed
(but really failed statistics).  I was doing my degree in nursing.
Going into the final exam I needed 180% to pass.  I passed; what was the
probability?  Go figure.  It came back to bite me in my pathology final:
the prof 'bell curved' the results because too many people failed the
course.  He printed raw score and bell score.  My raw was 98%.  My bell
was 65%.  I couldn't find the error in his bell (apparently his software
'wrapped' people who were beyond some deviation somewhere).  Go figure.

I hate statistics.  I'll take the low-tech approach: the drive will
fail.  If it hard fails, its dead and nothing I do ahead of time will
change that, so have another copy somewhere else.  If it soft fails, and
I have prepared FEC somehow, I could get it back because theres a chance
that both drives soft fail.