Re: trying to combine apt-cdrom and apt-get install.....

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:42:20AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> >From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
> >To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >Subject: Re: trying to combine apt-cdrom and apt-get install.....
> >Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:28:39 -0800
> >
> >On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:16:24AM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> >>
> >> But maybe there is some smart way to combine the apt-cdrom
> >-d/media/cdrom1
> >> stuff with apt-get install so that I can specify the DVD drive.....
> >>

> >why are you not just pulling packages from the net?
>
> I could do it, but I prefer using the DVDs.  My idea is to get to a state
> where I bootstrap download DVD images using jigdo and thus minimise the
> load on the debian servers and also to then exclusively use the DVDs
> locally on my machine from then on permanently so as to further reduce
> antisocial load on the servers.

ISTM that downloading the whole thing at once would actually use more
bandwidth than downloading pieces as you go as you almost certainly
won't need the entire system. Most people get most of what they want
off the first 2 cd's. but you probably already know that.

> This is the idea.  I am have also installed Debian on my machine at work
> and am now about to put it on another one in the laboratory (I run my own
> company so I can choose the OS for the business as it grows).

Don't you love that!. I do! I just got rid of my last work related win
box and am now lobbying my wife for her box too... heh heh. That
leaves me with point-of-sale running on dos. that won't change anytime soon.

  These are
> old machines so they run on CD drives not DVDs but they are not connected
> to the internet.  If I get more capital into the business I would get some
> more and newer machines but probably not have an internet link to all of
> them.

you know, I love old underpowered machines cause they get a new lease
on life with debian. Throw a $5 net card in them and away you go. And
depending on what your computing needs are, it may be cheaper to do
that and network them all than to upgrade the hardware. ymmv.

  So CDs and DVDs are useful to me.

no doubt. I was just curious because you were spending a lot of effort
on it and I wondered how critical it was.