Re: Command Language Reference Book (Website)

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 07:57:15PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:39:44PM -0800, Baz wrote:
> > Hello.  Will someone please recommend a reference book (or website) about
> > fundamental to mid-level command language (Unix/Linux/Debian)?  Thanks.
> > Sebastian
> >
> If by command language you mean shell, then you need to pick a reference
> that is specific to the shell you run (most likely bash).  I would
> recommend the "Advance Bash-Scripting Guide":
>
> http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

Hi Baz,
Debian has many shells: bash, sh, ash, posh, ksh, ....
These are used on many other systems. Debian usually defaults to bash
for login shells but you can change this. Many folks like the features
of other shells. These are used for 'interactive' shell use and for
'non-interactive' use aka programming. For doing either, you can also
use scripting languages like perl, in fact some Debian packages use a
combination of bash,perl or python to do various tasks.
cheers,
Kev