Re: adding multimedia on debian etch testing

Shrinivasan T wrote:
Friends.

I got the debian etch testing 25 cds and converted them into 3 DVDs.

Installed debian etch testing using those DVDs.

and I wished to update all the multimedia stuff.
so added the debian-multimedia.org repository.

My /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this.

deb http://debian-multimedia.org testing main

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-1 (20061009)]/ etch contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-2 (20061009)]/ etch contrib main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-3 (20061009)]/ etch contrib main

My aim to to add all multimedia things into my system and create a
26th multimedia addon cd and to distribute the 3 DVD + 1 multimedia CD
to my friends
where the internet is still a dream.

I am so happy to see the debian which gives everything.

Now i get problem in adding the multimedia things.

if i give
#apt-get install mplayer

it gives the error as

---------
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

 mplayer: Depends: libcaca0 (>= 0.99.beta8-1) but 0.99.beta7-1 is to
be installed
          Depends: libcucul0 (>= 0.99.beta8-1) but 0.99.beta7-1 is to
be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.7) but 1.14.4-2 is to be installed
          Depends: mplayer-skin but it is not installable
E: Broken packages
----------------

and stops.

I can not install mplayer.

This happens for all major multimedia applications.

my #apt-get update result is

----------
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-1 (20061009)] etch Release.gpg
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-2 (20061009)] etch Release.gpg
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-3 (20061009)] etch Release.gpg
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-1 (20061009)] etch Release
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-2 (20061009)] etch Release
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-3 (20061009)] etch Release
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-1 (20061009)] etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-1 (20061009)] etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-2 (20061009)] etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-2 (20061009)] etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-3 (20061009)] etch/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386
Binary-3 (20061009)] etch/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:1 http://debian-multimedia.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://debian-multimedia.org testing Release [5560B]
Ign http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Get:3 http://debian-multimedia.org testing/main Packages [43.0kB]
Fetched 48.7kB in 28s (1699B/s)
Reading package lists... Done

------------------

What is DiffIndex?

It should show only four entries as 3 DVd + one website.

why it is showing so many things?

Please guide me to solve this problem and install all the multimedia hacks.

Thanks.
T.Shrinivasan.

Hi T. Shrinivasan. It seems to me that you have what is called a "dependency" problem. As I understand it, packages in debian often depend on other packages for their installations. Often they also require a specific "version" of a package that they depend on.

It looks like the package you are trying to install (mplayer) requires libcaca0 version 0.99.beta8-1 or greater (>= in your error above) but your DVD's provide only version 0.99.beta7-1 which is "less" than the version required (was released before).

The same problem occurs with the required package libcucul0 (as well as libpango1.0-0). mplayer requires (>= 0.99.beta8-1) of libcucul0 but "0.99.beta7-1 is to be installed" (0.99.beta7-1 is what you have available) and that version is too old to be used by mplayer. Does this make sense?

You also seem to have dependency problems that don't allow mplayer-skin to be installed. I think that mplayer-skin depends on mplayer and if mplayer can't be installed, neither can the skin package.

I think you may need to update your /etc/apt/sources.list to included to proper repositories so that these dependencies may be satisfied (ie. so that apt can find the correct version of the packages needed).

Here's what an etch system's sources.list might look like:

#
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20060810)]/ etch main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

As far as all the output you see from apt, I can't quite tell you what DiffIndex is but none of the lines are errors, just information as to what apt is doing (I regularly see similar output as well when working with apt).

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque