Unix socket question - TLS with Exim/Courier

I'm missing something obvious here.

I have two Debian Stable boxes both running exim4-daemon-heavy
4.50-8sarge2 & courier-imap-ssl 3.0.8-4sarge5

One machine Exim can connect to the Courier authdaemon socket and the
other I get permission denied on the socket.  I have not been able to find the
difference between the two setups.

2006-12-05 21:56:19 plain_courier authenticator failed for (me) [192.168.1.2] U=moseley: 435 Unable to authenticate at present (set_id=moseley): failed to connect to socket /var/run/courier/authdaemon/socket: Permission denied

I'm not sure I understand socket permissions as the socket looks like
this:

ls -l /var/run/courier/authdaemon/socket
srwxrwxrwx  1 root root 0 Dec  5 22:20 /var/run/courier/authdaemon/socket

Exim is running as user Debian-exim on both machines, as normal.  The
Courier authdeamon is running as root.

I found one post[1] that said they had to add group "daemon" to
Debian-exim, but I don't understand why that would make a difference
-- I don't see where the socket is group "daemon".  Plus, on the
machine where it's working Debian-exim is not part of the daemon
group.

Anyone familiar with domain sockets and/or the Exim+Courier setup to
give me advice how to debug this?

Thanks,

[1] http://fplanque.net/Blog/devblog?cat=89

--