Intel DG965SS woes

I have been running Debian Unstable for years.  A couple of months ago I
upgraded my computer to a Core 2 Duo with a new Intel DG965SS
motherboard.

Actually most of the upgrade was reasonably smooth - I move the hard
drives (in a raid configuration) over from the old machine and it
ALMOST worked perfectly.

X wouldn't start.  A bit of checking on the internet, and I discovered
that I needed a version of AGPGART which was only to be found in linux
2.6.19-rc1 and later.

So I duly built the kernel from source and turned it into a debian
package and installed it.  This gave me a mostly running configuration.
I have been waiting for Debian to catch up.  Now that 2.6.19 has been
released - can anyone tell me how long before we should see an unstable
package in the repository?  I looked at the developer package home
page - but there is no indication there.

Second problem I discovered was an immediate system hard crash if I try
to display video.  There is an apparently solved bug in the xorg i810
graphics driver - but it hasn't made it through to Debian yet.  I
looked for unofficial debs for this, but haven't found it yet. Anyone
know of one?

Then today - for the first time since I got my new machine up and
running I tried to use the CD drive (actually DVD /CD-r ).  Linux just
totally fails to see it.  I've poked around on the internet and the
only thing I can find is an article that says set the BIOS to use AHCI
spec for the Sata controller (yet I can't find ANY documentation for
what the various BIOS setting are - can anyone point me at some?) and
to use kernel boot parameters of

all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

I can't find any documentation what the first of these parameters does,
although it doesn't work for me. Can anyone tell me what they mean and
why they might have been effective?

Do I need a BIOS upgrade?

--
Alan Chandler