Re: New PC, new install, new problems!

Mauro Condarelli wrote:
> Hi All, I Jut bought a new PC (Aldi/Medion-8818). It runs fine with
> its preinstalled Windows Media Edition. I tried a couple of recent
> Linux live-CDs (Knoppix 5.0 & latest Ubuntu, both debian-based) and
> both failed to fully recognize my hardware. Most notably the SATA
> disks were not seen. Before I wipe what's working, could someone
> confirm I can successfully install debian on this machine? I would
> like precise instructions about modules to load at startup and/or
> boot parameters to give on the command-line (if any). As said I have
> reasons to doubt the installation will be painless.

Why don't you just give it a try? Backup of course before, that's true
for whenever you change your partition and have important data to keep.

If debian's installer doesn't recognize your SATA, it won't be able to
destroy your present stuff. It is also capable of resizing existing M$
partitions. No need to wipe sth off just to try debian.

If sarge's installer doesn't work, you could also try testing aka etch.

> On a side issue: What TV handling / PVR program would You advise?

I use kaffeine and am happy with it, since it is easy to configure/use.

Johannes