Re: emacs -nw in UTF-8 xterm does not work

Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com> writes:

> I converted my Debian etch system to an UTF-8 environment.
>
> Emacs in X:     Works fine
> xterm:          Works find
> Emacs in xterm: Trouble (e.g. within mutt)
>
> While characters are displayed correctly, both for files with UTF-8
> and with iso-8859-1 encoding (emacs detects that automatically),
> the keyboard input of characters with diacritics does not work.
> (I use an English keyboard and Compose-"-a for Umlaut-a).

I'm able to compose "ä" in emacs -nw in an xterm, and I have no special
locale setup in ~/.emacs.  I do however have the following in
~/.Xresources (and I make sure to do "xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources" on X
startup).

XTerm*metaSendsEscape: True
XTerm*eightBitInput: False