Re: opening URLs in Firefox from Thunderbird using upstream programs

Adam Hardy wrote:

Marc Shapiro on 04/12/06 01:38, wrote:

I am running Etch and want to continue to use the branded Firefox (2.0) and Thunderbird. I do not want to switch to Icedove and IceWeasel. I have been running the upstream Firefox 2.0 for a while, now, with no problems. When I switched from debian-thunderbird to the upstream version (1.5.0.8) urls stopped opening in firefox. They have, in fact, stopped opening in anything.

I have made sure that /etc/alternatives/x-www-browser is pointing to the proper firefox binary and I don't know what else to check. I can not find any configuration option, or preference, that says where links should open, only where html attachments should open. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Are you sure you mean urls stopped working in FF? Not TB? If TB, then try going into your preferences / Advanced / General / Config editor, and edit the following property:

network.protocol-handler.app.http

to point to the firefox app.

I must not have been clear. I fully expect that the problem is with Thunderbird and not Firefox. I looked for that configuration item and did not see it. I will have to check again tonight, when I get the time to check into it. I was about to add the line manually to prefs.js. I also found a reference to setting network.protocol-handler.external.http to false and setting network.protocol-handler.expose to true, as well. I will have to look for these, this evening, as well. I will report back if I have any success.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail