Re: Newbie trying to install FrostWire.

Hi Kelly,

On 12/3/06, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:
On 12/2/06, Brian Durant <interlists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it is the time of the night here or whether it's
> because I am a newbie, but I can't seem to sort this out in my head. I
> thought I should write this before I do some damage, as it usually
> pays to prevent problems before they happen :-)
>
> I would like to install FrostWire http://www.frostwire.com/ which
> relies on Sun Java. I googled and ended up with this HowTo that is
> quite recent: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/444

You don't have to do that anymore. Just add non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/ testing non-free

(with your mirror and version)

then update your package list and look for the sun-java packages.

Cheers,
Kelly

Many thanks. The install went smoothly, but I am experiencing some
problems with Java based apps. FrostWire never seems to connect to a
network and I have to force quit it to quit the app.

I also installed the latest version of JRisk, but I got errors with
that when I started up:

Risk version: 1.0.8.8
Date: Sun Dec 03 19:00:07 GMT+01:00 2006

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/brian/board.map (No such file or
directory)
       at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.connect(FileURLConnection.java:70)
       at
sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection.getInputStream(FileURLConnection.java:161)
       at java.net.URL.openStream(URL.java:1007)
       at risk.engine.core.RiskGame.setMapfile(RiskGame.java:1514)
       at risk.engine.core.RiskGame.<init>(RiskGame.java:137)
       at risk.engine.Risk.run(Risk.java:213)
Uncaught error fetching image:
java.lang.NullPointerException
       at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getConnection(URLImageSource.java:97)
       at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getDecoder(URLImageSource.java:106)
       at
sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:240)
       at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:172)
       at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:136)

Being a newbie, I unfortunately can't tell if these issues are with
Java or with the apps themselves. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Brian