Re: minimal kde system for amarok?

On Dec 01 2006, Matt Price wrote:
> I want to install a fairly minimal set of packages as I really don't
> want the machine to feel sluggish -- it should act like a smart stereo
> component, not a slow-bu-versatile computer.

You can install amarok only (see with aptitude what it would install)
and don't install Recommend:'s (only those you choose to install).

> Alternatively, is there a gtk alternative to amaork that comes close?

There is a package that is being evaluated to be uploaded to Debian,
called exaile, which is a clone of amarok, but written with gtk in
mind. See http://www.debian.org/debian-mentors/ for the latest
discussions.

> I haven't used banshee for a while -- how is t hat shaping up?  Do its
> mono dependencies make it similarly 'heavy' to amarok?

I don't know, as usually avoid things that need a virtual machine (the
same thing with Java), but I'd be interested to know others' opinions.

Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/