Re: aptitude --mind-your-own-business option?

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 03:13:53AM -0900, Ken Irving wrote:
> >From another thread:
>
> > From: Ralph Katz <ralph.katz@rcn.com>
> > Subject: Re: aptitude dist-upgrade removes important packages
> > On 11/17/2006 01:30 PM, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, Debian installs "synaptic" by default.  Use synaptic
> > > instead of aptitude.
> >
> > Au contraire...  The docs are quite explicit about this: use *aptitude*.
>
> Maybe I'll just crawl back under a rock and continue using apt-get.
>
> I thought that aptitude combined the functionality of apt-get and
> apt-cache commands, but aptitude source <package> didn't work, and
> isn't even mentioned in the man page.  Hmm...

aptitude does most of apt-get cli things now.  It has been improving.
  source
  build-dep
are 2 things it is missing now.

Most of its feature can be configured via menu, commandline, or config
file.

Oh, if you are writing script, use apt-get. It is simple and more
predictable under other people"s machine.

Otherwise aptitude is good for vt-100 like environment with visual mode
on console.

Osamu