Re: Kernel 2.6 SMP very slow with ServerWorks LE Chipset

Oleg Verych wrote:
On 2006-11-21, Bob <spam@homeurl.co.uk> wrote:
[]
How about 2.6.18 from sid? If also bad, try bugzilla on kernel.org, or
lkml.
Is it possible to do this without migrating the whole system to sid? I can't see a backport, one option would be if someone could post the .config file I could compile it in the same way.

Sure. And even in various ways, including downloading deb and installing it
by hands. But debian way is simpler and better, see man apt_preferences.

Kernel is special, any regression users or developers not aware of, may
propagate for long time. And finally, when you catch something, the only
way is to contact upstream developers in lkml. I think, Debian Kernel
Team will be interested only in security stuff. So, deb kernel in Sid
is something in between.

Sorry for the delay, RL has been rather demanding of late.

I've installed 2.6.18 from sid but it's displaying the same problems.

As a test of CPU power I've been decompressing the kernel tree, with a UP 2.6 kernel this takes about 1m 15s, I don't know if bz2 is multithreaded but even if it's not I would expect a slight speed increase but in fact with a SMP 2.6 kernel it take 13 ~ 15m, with a SMP 2.4 kernel it takes 1m 28s and with a 2.4 UP 1m 35s.

with 2.6.18 from sid I get

nas:~# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:    40 MB in  2.22 seconds =  18.04 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  200 MB in  3.01 seconds =  66.47 MB/sec
nas:~# hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   756 MB in  2.01 seconds = 376.74 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.68 seconds =   2.17 MB/sec
nas:~#

As you can see it's variable, I've got hda plugged into a SiI680 PCI card as the ServerWorks IDE chipset is not so good.

This is driving me nuts, any more ideas, I'll have a go at bugzilla later.

Thanks for the help.