Re: upgrading trashed my font display

Casey T. Deccio on 30/11/06 18:33, wrote:
On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 20:35 +0000, matthew yee-king wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
I upgraded a whole set of packages in etch using synaptic.

I answered several of the questions posed by the installation processses of some of the packages but I must have answered one of them very wrongly.

Now my system-, firefox- and thunderbird text refuses to appear until I drag the mouse across it.

I am not sure how I managed to trash the system and I don't see anything immediate to restore it.

This is the same in KDE, Gnome and Enlightenment. Can someone tell me where to start?

Are you using the nvidia binary drivers? If so, I had this problem recently I think. My solution is here:

http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20061122.213602.6eeb2583.en.html

It worked!  I had previously installed the nVidia driver using nVidia's
installer.  I used the same installer to uninstall (using the
--uninstall argument) the module.  Then I used the instructions [1]
linked from the above page to compile and install it the Debian way.
Note that I had to uninstall the previous module first, or it didn't
work.

[1] http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html

I tried that but module-assistant couldn't find the nvidia-kernel-source in any online repository for etch - apt doesn't like the source at http.us.debian.org/debian nor people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia

Could you give me the sources.list entry for the source where you got it?

Thanks!

Adam