E100 flaw in sarge ?

Hi!

I was experimenting with some old computers (Compaq deskpro EN 800MHz)
which has an intel pro100 NIC on the motherboard. My installation
started with old distros like Mandrake 8.1 and RedHat 9. Both distros
hade an old bug which caused the eepro100 module to hang and wrote
"wait_for_cmd_done timeout!" in syslog.

To get around that (hard to find quickfixes to five year old bugs) I
installed Sarge which I use on my computers at work and I know it uses
the e100 module instead of the eepro100 which I nolonger trust.

But after a few minutes of testing (ssh to work, reading mail , normal
network stuff) the xterm completely frooze, just like the old distros!!
When I started a new xterm to see what was going on I found out that the
network had died, without as little as a whisper in the logs, it just
stopped. Ifup/ifdown helps but only for a while, the error comes back
within minutes, just like the old eepro100 bug. So to try a quickfix I
switched to eepro100 module instead and guess what, that module works,
for the last 7 hours anyway, knock knock!

I don't know what to add, there are no errors whatsoever in the logs,
but if anyone wants more info about the problem, just ask.

On the happy side
Roger