Re: what's the killer app for GNU/Linux systems?

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe escribe:
> A killer app is an application that compels one to use a certain
> system. On Debian lists, someone mentioned that meld, a GUI diff
> utility, was killer. I can't think of any I have because I moved to
> GNU/Linux for its said overall magnificence, instead of a particular
> application, and today there's isn't one utility I admire so much I'd
> consider such... maybe gnome-terminal, lsof, grep, top,
> epiphany-browser, or less. I'd mention admirance for Blender, GCC,
> Python but they are cross-platform. I'd mention GNOME, but it's a 100
> apps. So I give up and ask you, what's your killer app(s)?

You can compile GNOME using Cygwin on Windows and also on OS X, so
it's not a happy example of "killer app" that forces you to use Linux.

IMHO the "killer app" is ALSA plus JACK. ALSA are drivers for audio
cards allowing profesional like low latency even using low grade
soundcards embedded on motherboards. JACK allows to interconnect audio
applications, where audio output of any app can be used as audio input
of any other. Audio software lovers can think of it as a system-wide
Reason.

AFAIK JACK can be used on OS X systems. ALSA is Linux specific.

Cross-OS interoperability is nowadays a trend so less and less apps
can be considered "killer" on this sense.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Ismael Valladolid Torres

http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/     m. +34679156321