Re: A package management question

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 05:31:37PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> dpkg --get-selections provides a list of all packages that are
> currently on a Debian computer, and dpkg --set-selections allows one
> to clone that set onto another computer, or restore it onto the
> computer on which it was generated in case of a crash or operator
> error.
>
> But this list does not contain any information about the dependencies
> among the packages.

The list is created from /var/lib/dpkg/status by each package management
tool when needed within their tool.

> Is there a program that will analyze a list of packages and arrange
> them into a tree, or forest (multiple independent trees)?

aptitude comes close but not the level you expecting.  Graphical display
will be nice.

> I am curious
> as to what is the minimum set of apt-get install terms that are
> necessary to reproduce my installation (or any particular
> installation).

> Second question: The dependency relation forms a network on the set of
> packages. Is this network a multi-tree, or are there loops within this
> network?

Some developer say loop-less is needed and other developer to remove
loops.  But some developer insist to keep it.  You can find repeated
posting in debian-devel on this subject.

Osaamu