Re: emacs lisp files: why not most current eg f90.el

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 19:36 +0100, Romain Francoise wrote:
> Emacs 21 was released in October 2001, the various 21.x releases since
> then were maintenance releases so the various modes haven't been
> updated.
>
> If you want a recent Emacs, use the `emacs-snapshot' package, sarge
> packages are available from my repo, see:
>
>   http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCvsAndDebian
>
> Also, note that:
> 1. you should *never* change files that are under dpkg's control, or bad
>    things may happen,
> 2. replacing the .el file as you suggest would have no effect, Emacs
>    loads the compiled (.elc) file.  But don't replace it!

Romain, thanks for the 'snapshot' link which I've just downloaded. (And
for the reminder about not subverting dpkg - hadn't thought it would
apply to .elc/.el files too...)

Now I've got the newer f90.el, it's not quite what I thought... perhaps
you (as in Romain & others) could advise? I have a distant memory of
editting Fortran codes and being able to jump from an IF to the next
corresponding ELSE or END IF. (I thought f90-next-block would do this
but it seems not). Do you know of the correct lisp package/command that
does this?

Many thanks, Michael