Re: How to switch my timezone configure

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 01:51:21PM -0600, Owen Heisler wrote:
> On 11/28/06, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:57:14AM -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> >>       I just talked with a Windows-XP user to get things
> >> straight, so here is what I found out.  You can either set your
> >> Windows time to local wall-clock time or UTC.  You can have it
> >> with or without Daylight Saving Time either way.  Obviously, if
> >> you pick UTC, for your windows time, you must also select a world
> >> time zone.  The concept is identical to setting up a *NIX system,
> >> but you have a nice pretty world map to help you.  So, if you
> >> click the DST box and choose the right geographic location for
> >> you, you may use both Linux and Windows and the time will be
> >> right either way.  Since Windows lets you choose UTC, that sounds
> >> like the way out of the dilemma.
> >
> >The last time I checked on Windows, it expected to have the internal
> >(BIOS) clock in the computer set to local time. Admittedly, I can't
> >remember when I last checked, perhaps some time late last century. If
> >Windows people have recently improved their system to make it capable
> >of handling UTC, good for them. I think I am not alone in being unaware
> >of recent twists and turns in Windows.
>
> With the regular GUIs in Windows (XP), I don't think it is possible to
> use BIOS UTC time... but maybe (probably) there is some very well
> hidden, badly named registry key that magically makes Windows read UTC
> time from the BIOS.  If someone knows what it is, I'd be interested.

Someone else pointed this out, maybe in another thread, and after
some googling it appears to be RealTimeIsUniversal. Someone found this
registry string by using the strings utility on an XP (or something)
image, and it's not documented.  <cynical>Typical</cynical>.  This seems
to have been included pretty far back in the Windows bloodline, maybe
to accomodate AIX (an old MS *nix variant?) or something, but while it
apparently remains, it is not well or properly supported.

This page discusses the issue:

  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/mswish/ut-rtc.html

Sounds promising, but it doesn't actually work.

--
Ken Irving, fnkci@uaf.edu